Upcoming Sony announcement (NEX 7, NEX 5N, a65, a77, lenses and more)

Some more details on the upcoming Sony announcement:

• Sony NEX-5N:

• New vertical grip C77AM with dust and moisture protection:

• New Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM SAL1650 lens:

Sony a65 and a77 cameras will also be announced. There is some talk about three new E mount lenses: 24mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8 and 55-210 f/4.5-6.3 but I do not have any details yet.  Sony will announce also new camcorders and other accessories.

This entry was posted in Sony and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

18 Comments

1. Sky
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Nice! Seems to be really, very cool 🙂 Great that Sony introduces weather-sealed products, hopefully we’ll see lineup of A-mount lenses with WR like in Pentax. 🙂

2. Posted August 2, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

That NEX 7 looks like the bee’s knees, but I bet they charge a premium for it. NEX 5 looks great too.

• Sky
      Posted August 2, 2011 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Sure they will. That’s probably why it’s called NEX 7, not NEX 2 😉 Likely gonna cost bit more than 600D.

• Posted August 2, 2011 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I’ll bet a grand with the lens. Or $900 maybe. They’re competing with the X100 crowd now.

• padlockd
          Posted August 2, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

X100 can’t change lenses, so it might be more. Sweet looking camera though.

3. poizen22
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

that nex 7 is sexy as can be.

4. alex
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 10:14 am | Permalink

I am not sure but is that a EVF on the top right of nex 7?? rangefinder design again haha~

• Sky
      Posted August 2, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

yep, it’s EVF. Plus it looks to have twin mode dials. I hope they will be customizable.

5. Joe
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

What is the point of making the camera (NEX-7) so small and thin if the lenses for it are enormous? That’s no pancake, that’s a space station.

• Sky
      Posted August 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Voigtlander makes hi-quality pancakes – you can plug them into NEX. And there’s hevullah of other second-hand pancake lenses. There isn’t any issue really. Even if you don’t know nothing about manual focusing – the Focus Peek function solves issues with it to a degree where 6 yo kid can focus well.

6. J Shin
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I think the NEX-7 looks pretty darn close to perfect, with the negotiable exception of a full-frame sensor and their stupid proprietary hot shoe. The only reason I haven’t gotten an EVIL (besides spousal disapproval) is the fact that the EVF takes up the hot shoe, so this solves that. And Sony doesn’t even have an EVF for NEX, yet!

If Leica puts a red dot and a real hot shoe on it and charges $300 more, I might fall for it. 🙂

7. Nobody Special
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

It looks like a nice step forward especially the 7 – evolutionary. Not bad – it’ll be interesting to see the results in use.

8. 42PL
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

I think it looks ugly. The Nex cameras are really let down by the size of the lenses. They need some pancakes- normal sized lenses look really awkward on these cameras.

9. El Aura
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

This 24 mm f/1.8 lens look huge compared to the Fuji X100 24 mm f/2 lens. It shows how much space you save by not having interchangeable lenses (which includes not needing the space for a focal plane shutter).

10. Nobody Special
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

AF, zoom and sensor size make the lenses bigger. I don’t think the 7 (or the others) will ever win awards for ‘balanced handling’ – but by now, I think that’s a given, whether people like it or not.

• El Aura
      Posted August 2, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Comparing the X100 lens with this 24 mm f/1.8 E-mount lens, we compare two primes, two AF lenses with the same sensor size.

• dummy
        Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:52 am | Permalink

The difference is that in the X100 the lense and the sensor (microlenses) are optimized. Therefor the Fuji constrcution allows higher angles for the lightrays on the sensor.

I think the Zeisslens is a retrofocus construction for better “lightquality” for a sensor without microlenses. This makes the lense bigger.

But I think the lens is not so big as it looks on the picture, because the NEX7 is also a very small camera.

• El Aura
          Posted August 3, 2011 at 6:42 am | Permalink

I guess my main point would be for all those asking for an interchangeable lens version of the X100 that it would make the camera (or rather the lenses) noticeably larger.