Sigma announced the availability of the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary lens: the Canon version will be available in March, 2015 and Nikon version in May 2015. No dates were given for the Sigma and Sony models. The new lens will be on display at the CP+ in Japan.
The price is still not announced. The Contemporary model is lighter, cheaper and with a different (simplified) lens design compared to the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport model that is almost twice as expensive.
Update - the US price for the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary lens were just announced: $1,089.00. The lens is currently available for pre-order in three different mounts:
Here is the basic lens specifications:
- An updated Optical Stabilizer (OS) with an accelerometer for improved vertical and horizontal panning, essential for bird, wildlife and motor sports photography
- Enhanced functionality for better portability and usability
- Dust and splash proof mount
- Excellent optical glass elements to minimize chromatic aberration and achieve best-in-class image quality
- Two new switches added for ease-of-use, including a new zoom lock switch capable of locking at any focal distance and a Manual Override (MO) switch for improved control of focusing performance
- An enhanced auto focus (AF) algorithm and Hyper Sonic Motor ensure quiet and fast AF
- MO included to make two full-time modes switchable
- A detachable tripod socket made of magnesium which is light and strong so the lens can be carried by itself