Eye-Fi sent this email regarding their previous decision to stop supporting the X2 line of Wi-Fi SD memory cards - the company will release a new software utility that will allow X2 cards to continue to operate:
To the users of Eye-Fi X2 and Earlier Generation Eye-Fi cards:
Last month we announced the “End of Life” (EOL) of a range of products including Eye-Fi Pro X2 and prior products. For details on that announcement please click HERE. There is new information contained in this announcement.
Note: Eyefi Mobi and Mobi Pro customers are not impacted by this EOL process.
NEW X2 UTILITY
This notice is to inform you that Eyefi has started work on a new desktop software utility – the X2 Utility (X2U) for the PC and Mac – that will permit cards impacted by the EOL continue operating beyond the deadline of September 15, 2016.
As a reminder, after September 15, 2016 Eye-Fi Center desktop software will no longer have the ability to configure Eye-Fi X2 and other cards impacted by the EOL. Customers wishing to use the X2U will have to uninstall Eye-Fi Center from their computer prior to installing the new utility. Once the X2U is installed and activated, cards impacted by the EOL will have ability to continue transferring images to a desktop computer.
The X2U will be provided to users free of charge as-is and without warranty or helpdesk support. We will publish knowledge base documentation on how to set-up and use the X2U.
X2 Utility Highlights
- Support for Pro X2 and all earlier generation products with the “Eye-Fi” branding as well as 3rd party branded cards from SanDisk and Visioneer
- Activation and set-up of cards to transfer images to a PC or Mac via an infrastructure or direct network connection
- Transferred images will be saved to a directory of users choosing but will be organized in a date based chronological order
- Eye-Fi Center software must be un-installed from the PC or Mac prior to installation of the X2U
- X2U will NOT integrate with Eye-Fi View nor Eyefi Cloud service: it will be limited to desktop transfer only
Today we are releasing the X2U on the Mac (OS X) platform. We will provide an updated notice if and when the X2U becomes available on Windows, and cannot guarantee such availability before the end of August and prior to the shutdown of Eye-Fi Center and Eye-Fi View.
Finally, this utility is being provided to allow more time for customers seeking an alternative WiFi SD card solution. It is not intended as a permanent/long-term solution. The X2U will not be adding any new features beyond this one-time release set of capabilities.
In order to download the Mac version of the X2U as well as accessing further information on the utility, please click here. If and when the Windows version is available, it can be accessed at the same location.
The Eyefi Team