The 2017 CIPA camera shipment report is out

CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association in Japan) published their 2017 report and there are no big surprises - here is a quick recap from CanonRumors:

"DSLR sales accounted for about 65% of total shipments for the ILC segment, with mirrorless making up the other 35%. Adoption of mirrorless cameras is driven by Japan and Asia, as it’s approaching a 50/50 split in shipments. The split for DSLRs and mirrorless cameras in North America is about 85%/15%, and Europe is somewhere in between the two regions.

I don’t think we’ll see significant movement in the DSLR to mirrorless split in North America until Nikon enters the segment with DX and FX mirrorless cameras and Canon released a full frame mirrorless option and maybe an even higher end APS-C EOS M.

The death of the DSLR is still a long ways off."

The complete 2017 comparison graphs (orange: 2017, black: 2016, blue: 2015, click for larger view):

List of participating CIPA companies can be found here.

This entry was posted in Other and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.
  • FCC disclosure statement: this post may contain affiliate links or promotions that do not cost readers anything but help keep this website alive. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Thanks for your support!

  • Back to top